Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Paper Bird and Johnny Hickman

I got lucky enough to be dragged down to the Aggie on Saturday to catch the band Paper Bird.  They are really good!  Three female vocalists (one also plays trumpet) and a four piece band with an old-timey sound with great harmonies and lyrics.  Their last album was a project with the Ballet Nouveau in Denver where they wrote songs that had choreographed dance numbers.  There are even some Daily Dance Episodes on youtube that are both cute and funny.  I haven't found anything of their's I haven't liked yet.


With the ballet - Sounds Like Rain


A little talking about the ballet collaboration


Colorado


Slow, Slow in studio



And for something completely different, Johnny Hickman, current Loveland resident and Cracker guitar player, put out a new solo album this summer called Tilting produced by Jason Larson of The Piggies.  It has a very Beatles-esque production which works great with the new Hickman songs.

He put out a video for a couple of the songs, one I really like called Drunkard's Epiphany that was shot at Lucky Joe's.



And here is a live one from his first album, Palmhenge, with the Piggies backing:




Hope you enjoy!

No comments: