Last night I saw Steve Martin and The Steep Canyon Rangers at the Pabst Theater in Milwaukee. Here are some things I thought about during the concert in mostly chronological order:
1. Steve Martin is really funny. He was basically playing a bluegrass show with stand up breaks. The jokes were genuine. I laughed because they were funny, not because Steve Martin was telling them.
2. This is a really good show.
3. Steve Martin rips on banjo. He is a bona fied player. The Steep Canyon Rangers are a great band that he met in North Carolina and it is cool to see this old timey sort of pairing of an established band with a big name. It was fun and their was a great rapport between Steve Martin and the band.
4. It is great to see someone who was good at something honestly trying to be good at something else. Steve Martin didn't ham it up. He cared about being a good musician and wasn't a half-assed or decent musician who was relying on his stardom to bring the audience the rest of the way. It was good to see someone work hard to entertain you.
5. It felt good to be in the same room as an icon. Steve Martin isn't someone I ever thought I would be in a room with, no matter what kind of room.
6. Steve Martin looks and stands like John Darnielle.
No comments:
Post a Comment